Monday, March 1, 2010

Tsunami Warning!!!


A tsunami warning was in effect for Hawaii on Saturday following a massive 8.8 earthquake that struck central Chile at 3:30am that lasted about 3 minutes, that's a long time for an earthquake of that size. We got news of it before we went to bed and knew that we would be getting Tsnami warnings in the morning.
I woke up at 4am to Elza, my hometeachee calling me. I jumped out of bed and then realized she was out of my porch. I went outside and talked to her, she was wondering if we were going to stay or leave. While on the deck I saw across the street that a line had formed outside of Foodland. The store wasn't going to open for another two hours but already there was a line clear out to the street.
I went back to bed and woke up at 6am sharp to the screachingly loud tsunami alarm. Lucky or unlucky for us, I don't know which, the town alarm is located right across the street. It was so darn loud and I was so darn tired, and I wasn't like the annoying alarm clock that I can just hit to turn off.
All of us roommates packed up some supplies and decided to go to higher ground, so we hiked Laie falls and thought that we could witness any surge of water that might come. We waited and waited and nothing. Its funny the attitude that some people had. It was like we were disappointed that there was no distruction. Really? What kind of people are we to be disappointed that nobody lost their home or their life in Hawaii. We dodged the bullet. Chile wasn't so lucky. Remember those people that were effected by the earthquakes and tsunamis in your prayers.
I'm okay, the only thing bad that happened to me was that I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked and I got a little bit of a sun burn.



The first waves were expected to arrive in Hawaii at 11:19 a.m. today (4:19 p.m. EST).

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you went to higher grounds to keep safe from the potential threat. Did you have a 72 hour kit ready to take with you? I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am just glad you are safe! The countdown is on, and this teacher is so excited!

    ReplyDelete